- Check grocery/liquor stores for free boxes. Uniform size boxes stack easier for both moving and storage. Be sure boxes are strong enough to hold 25-30 lbs.
- Place those items that you need to get to often, in the front.
- Label all containers and boxes
- Pack heavier items in small boxes.
- Fill drawers and appliances with small items to conserve space.
- Before moving in pieces of large furniture, cover the ground with blankets or sheets.
- Don't store food — this will attract mice and other pests.
- Leave a walkway so that you can access your items as needed.
- Disassemble items such as tables, bed frames, etc. (This will save space.)
- Make sure that all appliances are clean and dry before storing them
- Clothing and draperies should be stored in wardrobe boxes, on hangers, to retain their original shapes.
- Rubbermaid containers are great to store your items. They have tight fitting lids and stack easily. Keep the more valuable items in the rear of the unit. This will prevent others from seeing them when you are in your unit.